Schaefer Garbage Carts
DNV residents may place garbage out for collection in standard 77L (20 gallon) cans, or you can choose to purchase a DNV sold Schaefer brand garbage cart. There are two versions currently for sale: the regular 140L Schaefer cart, and the 140L animal resistant modified Schaefer cart. The animal resistant version comes with a limited warranty available below.
To purchase either cart online, click here to visit our WebStore. You may also pay in person at the District Hall. Either way the cart is delivered to your home if you are a District resident.
The District of North Vancouver has discontinued the sale of the large size (360L) Schaefer carts and now only sells the small size (140L) Schaefer carts, which better meet the DNV's 154 litre garbage limit.
Notice to current owners of the 360 litre large sized Schaefer carts - the District will continue to empty these carts that are one half-full of garbage. A full cart requires 2 extra garbage tags on top of the lid. An alternative is to convert your large Schaefer cart into a Yard Trimmings container by applying permanent yellow-trimmed 'yard trimmings' stickers. When used for Yard Trimmings, the cart can be filled up.
* * *
Residential/Recycling Cart Warranty
SSI Schaefer warrants the component parts of SSI Schaefer manufactured refuse/recycling containers from failure in normal and regular use due to improper or inadequate materials or defective workmanship for a period of ten (10) years from the above date. The warranty extends only to the first purchaser of the containers. In the event containers are sold through a registered SSI Schaefer distributor, the warranty will extend to the first purchaser from the distributor.
Warranty considerations are divided into three (3) parts and will be determined, each on its own merit, jointly by the Buyer and Manufacturer. The manufacturer shall have the right to inspect, test and reclaim the allegedly defective containers.
- Normal wear and tear:
- “Normal use” of a residential refuse/recycling cart is considered to be the collection of residential solid waste/recyclables in conjunction with an approved semi or fully automated mechanical lifting device
- Scratches, dirt or accumulation of, or any other substance
- Normal deterioration and possible discoloration due to atmospheric exposure
- Operator Error:
- Operating lifter, fully and semi-automated, while container lifter and blade are operating jointly
- Excessive shaking of containers during the dumping cycle
- Forcing the container into the packing blade
- Dropping the container into the hopper
- Extraordinary impacts into the curb or street
- Being used other than for storage, transport and dumping of normal household residential solid waste/recyclables
- Unwarranted dumping and use of container for solvents, petrochemicals, paints, acids or other chemicals. Liquid storage/transport, bulk solids, construction and industrial remnants
- Proper orientation of cart in conjunction with lifter
- Failure to follow instructions imprinted on cart lids
- Dropping stacks off delivery trucks, improper stacking, allowing water to freeze in stacked carts
- Operator tampering of lifter speeds
- Any alterations, additions and/or structural changes made to any components of a SSI Schaefer refuse/recycling container immediately voids, cancels and nullifies this warranty
- Improper working condition of equipment
- Excessive cycle times of lifters
- Incorrect pressure settings of trucks and lifters
- Cuts, creases, scores caused by improper lifter pressures and the presence of worn belts, pads and sharp pinch points
- Improperly installed lifters
- Scratches, cuts, creases, scores, punctures
Additional Consideration ~ Animal Proofing
Schaefer will honour the above warranty on carts which are modified for animal proofing by an authorized Schaefer dealer. Any cracks which may be deemed as a result of riveting will be considered by manufacturing on a per case basis. All damages to the cart which are as a result from animal handling are not covered by this warranty.
Administration of Warranty
SSI Schaefer must be notified in writing immediately of any and all warranty issues and send to the following:
Schaefer Systems International, Inc.
10021 Westlake Drive
Charlotte, NC 28273
WTD Customer Service Dept.
Upon agreement of parts determined to be defective by SSI Schaefer, said parts shall be repaired or replaced at SSI Schaefer’s option. Repaired or replaced parts are warranted for the balance of the original warranty period of the original part. Repair or replacement is the sole remedy under this warranty. This warranty is in lieu of any other warranty, expressed or implied, including warranty of merchantability. In no event shall SSI Schaefer be liable for incidental or consequential damages or delay in performance resulting from the defect. Under this warranty, SSI Schaefer shall not be liable for any transportation or other direct or indirect charges.
- Rollins will warranty the bear-resistant kit plus parts (steel, clasps, rivets/washers, etc.) due (our) manufacturer’s defect for a period of 90 days. If anything is faulty, we will examine and fix at no charge.
- Rollins does not warranty the cart itself since we did not manufacture it.
* * *
Missing or Stolen Schaefer Carts & Garbage/Yard Trimmings Containers
It has recently come to the District's attention that some resident's garbage and yard trimmings containers have gone missing or stolen. The District would like to offer the following as possible solutions, in order to help protect your private property from theft.
# 1 - Permanently mark your containers with large, bold lettering with your last name and/or house address.
# 2 - For those residents who own the small or large green Schaefer Cart, please note that each cart has its own special identification number, located on the top of the lid or on one of the four sides of your cart. It may be helpful to enter this identification number into your household records.
# 3 - Put your garbage/yard trimmings containers out to the curb on the day of pick-up, not the night before. Not only will this help prevent your container from going missing, but it will also inhibit the attraction of bears and animals.
Questions? Contact the DNV Sanitation Dept., or telephone 604-990-3892.