Community heritage grants
To help promote heritage conservation in the District, we provide grants of up to $500 to owners of heritage properties who are interested in improving or maintaining the exteriors.
To qualify for grant funding, your property must be listed in one of these heritage resources:
- DNV Heritage Inventory
- DNV Modern Inventory
- Heritage Register
If your property is not listed in one of these resources, you can still be considered for grant funding if you provide a statement of significance from a Registered Heritage Professional when you apply.
Thank you for your interest. The deadline to apply for a grant for 2017 was October 23.
An overview of grant conditions
In addition to the heritage requirement:
- Your property taxes must be fully paid when you apply
- Your property must conform with all applicable bylaws
- Any conservation or restoration work you do must be done with relevant permits
- The work must be done within one year of receiving grant approval, or within one year prior to approval
- You should retain original materials whenever possible (though modern equivalents of historic materials will also be considered on a case-by-case basis)
You will also be required to submit itemized paid invoices for the work that is done.
Preserving our heritage
Ensuring we have a clear sense of identity and place — and a legacy that links our past, present, and future — is one of the objectives of our Official Community Plan.