Carts, containers, and limits
You are required to use specific types and sizes of containers for your garbage, recycling, yard trimmings, and food scraps.
By regulating the containers we accept, we can ensure they can be collected safely and efficiently by District crews.
Review this page to learn about:
- the size, types, and number of containers you're allowed to use
- where to get new or replacement containers
Carts and limits for garbage and organics
We supply residents with standard carts that have wheels and locking lids, in order to make garbage less accessible to animals, improve worker health and safety, and help reduce the amount
You must use the 140L or 240L carts that we supply for your garbage and organics (food scraps and yard trimmings).
- All of the waste you put out for collection must fit inside your carts
- You cannot place extra bags out with the garbage
- If you have yard trimmings in brown paper yard waste bags, you must place those bags inside your organics cart
- Any bundles of twigs or sticks must also be placed inside your organics cart
The maximum allowable weight for full carts is 55kg (140L cart) or 100kg (240L cart).
Need more carts, or larger (or smaller) carts?
Is your cart broken, or has it been lost or stolen?
Containers and limits for recycling
Blue box — Cartons, metals, plastics
We prefer that you use the blue box that we supply, or one you brought from another municipality. However, you can use one you purchased yourself, provided it:
- is made of hard plastic
- holds 61L (capacity will be stamped on the box)
- is no taller than 35.5cm, and no larger than 38cm x 50cm at the top
Grey box — Glass, bottles, jars
Use the grey box supplied by us.
Yellow or blue bag — Paper, cardboard, and newspaper
Use the yellow or blue bag provided by us.
Do you have more recycling than you can fit in your containers?
Need a new blue box, grey box, or blue or yellow bag?
- Call us: 604-929-3416
- Pick them up at District Hall