Kilmer Creek relocation
In conjunction with the Argyle School redevelopment, the District and the North Vancouver School District are relocating portions of the nearby Kilmer Creek.
Along with improving fish habitat in Kilmer Creek, this work will reduce the likelihood and severity of future flooding in the area.
News and updates
May 2022 — Phase 2 update
Phase 2 of the Kilmer Creek Relocation Project has been temporarily postponed and will no longer occur summer 2022. An update will be provided when the revised timeline is finalized.
November 30 — Two-way traffic now open on Fromme Rd
Phase 1 of this project is complete, and two-way traffic has been restored on Fromme Road. Occasional single-lane northbound traffic is to be expected during Argyle School off-site work.
October 29 — Temporary asphalt curb on Chaucer Ave
A temporary asphalt curb will be constructed along northbound lane from Chaucer Ave to Argyle School over the new few weeks. Paving and southbound curb for Fromme Rd (Chaucer Ave to Fredrick Rd) is scheduled for spring 2022.
September 13 — Creek redirected
With the new culvert complete, flows have now been redirected in the daylighted channel on the west side of Argyle property and into the culvert beneath Fromme Road, which flows into Hastings Creek.
September 7 — Return to school
With schools reopening, Fromme Road will have a northbound lane open at all times between Chaucer Avenue and Frederick Road. The southbound lane will remain closed.
July 12 — Water main work and shut-offs
Short-term water shut-offs are expected in the 3,400-block and 3,500-block of Fromme Road during the week of July 12 to allow crews to complete water main work.
May 2021 — Work begins
Crews begin work on the first phase of the District improvements, which include a new culvert located to the southwest of the Argyle property and a relocated outflow into Hastings Creek
Detour and traffic impacts
Current traffic changes
September 7 to mid-November: Northbound traffic open at all times on Fromme Road between Chaucer Avenue and Frederick Road. Southbound lane remains closed.
Detours during construction
During construction, traffic will be allowed northbound only on Fromme from Chaucer Avenue to Frederick Road. Southbound traffic will be detoured along Frederick Road to Mountain Highway.
Estimated construction schedule
- May, 2021 — Limited tree removals (see map above).
- Mid-May to June/July, 2021 — Water main relocation, including new creek crossing under the Hastings Creek Bridge. Affected properties may experience short-term water outages, but will be notified by the contractor ahead of time.
- July to September, 2021 — Culvert and creek outlet construction.
- October to November, 2021 — Curb and pavement work on Fromme Road
- August to October, 2021 — Frederick Road sidewalk project.
- NVSD will be "daylighting" a stretch of Kilmer Creek by constructing a new open creek along the west border of the Argyle property and removing the existing culvert running underneath the old Argyle school
- Opening up this stretch of Kilmer Creek will improve the riparian environment while increasing habitat for fish and other aquatic species
- DNV’s culvert just downstream of this section will enable fish to populate the newly-opened creek section
- In addition to improving fish habitat in Kilmer Creek, this work will reduce the likelihood and severity of flooding events in the future
- The new culvert will enable fish to pass through and will be able to handle a 200-year flood event that takes into account the anticipated impacts of climate change
- A section of water main on Fromme Road will need to be relocated to make way for this new culvert (see map above)
Throughout this phase of creek work, the School District will continue work on the Argyle School site to demolish the old buildings, followed by daylighting the section of Kilmer Creek as it passes through school property.
Phase two of the Kilmer Creek work will focus on the section of creek north of Argyle School, as indicated on the map above, with detailed plans being developed throughout 2021.