Drainage permit

You need a drainage permit to install or repair:

  • storms or sanitary sewers
  • sumps or seep away sumps (rock pits)
  • catch basins
  • pump systems
  • interceptors
  • general piping systems

Who can apply

The person doing the drainage work — either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor — can apply for the permit.

However, if you're the registered homeowner, you can only apply for a permit if:

  • the home is a detached, single-family home
  • there is no secondary suite or other premises attached to the home
  • you live (or intend to live) in the home

If you don't meet all of these conditions, only a licensed contractor can apply for the permit.

How to apply

To apply for a drainage permit:

  • Review the requirements on this page
  • Prepare electronic copies of any required documents 
  • Complete the online application form

Apply for a drainage permit

The application form will open in a new tab so you can continue to view this page without having to exit the form.

Important to know before you apply

  • You must receive your permit before the work can begin
  • If your work is related to a building permit, you need to have the building permit before your drainage permit can be issued
  • If you're a contractor, you must have a valid business licence in the District
  • If there is a storm water pump on site, there must be an approved Storm Water Management Plan, and the owner must have a registered Storm Water Pump Covenant on title (Section 219 of the Land Title Act). If a storm water pump is not installed yet, contact the mechanical inspection department after you submit this application (building@dnv.org)

Documents to include with your application

You'll be asked to include electronic copies of supporting documents with your application. Be sure you have prepared these documents before you start your application. You won't be able to save a partially completed application form and return to complete it later.

Have these documents ready, if applicable:

After you submit your application

  1. We'll review your application form and contact you if we need additional information.
  2. Once your application has been processed, we'll email you a link to pay the permit fee online. If you prefer not to pay online, you can pay by credit, debit, cash, or cheque by coming to District Hall in person.
  3. After payment is received and all applicable reviews have been completed, we will email you your permit

Having your permitted work inspected

Most work you do with a permit requires an inspection. It is your responsibility to arrange for all inspections at the right time.

Learn more about inspections

Permit fees

Fees are based on the length of pipe.

Get complete details in the fees and charges bylaw



Get your work inspected

Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.

You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).