Exploring our housing needs
We are preparing a housing needs report that will help us to better understand our current and future housing needs.
Along with analyzing housing and community data, we conducted community engagement to provide further insights into key areas of housing need. We will use the report to help inform future planning and decision-making.
Why are we preparing a housing needs report?
In 2019, the provincial government amended the Local Government Act to require municipal governments to complete housing needs reports by April 2022 and then update them every five years.
- Project launch: April 2021
- Data collection and preliminary analysis: April – May 2021
- Community and stakeholder engagement: June – September 2021
- Data analysis: July – August 2021
- Draft housing needs report council workshop: October 25, 2021
- Final housing needs report: November – December 2021
December 13, 2021 — Council meeting
Staff will present a final version of the Housing Needs Report for Council's information at the 7pm Council meeting.
Related Council documents
- December 13, 2021 — At the Council meeting on December 13, 2021, staff will present a final version of the Housing Needs Report for Council's information. Download the staff report
- October 25, 2021 — At the Council Workshop on October 25, 2021, staff presented a draft Housing Needs Report for Council’s information. Download the meeting agenda and staff repor
- September 14, 2020 — Council directed staff to apply for grant funding from the Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM). Download the meeting agenda and staff report