Youth in Film bursaries
The Youth in Film (YIF) bursaries fund youth in our community who wish to enter the film industry as a career and create an opportunity for them to benefit from industry donations and contributions.
Established in the District in 1998, the YIF Bursaries is supported by fees we collect from productions working in the District.
Applications will be accepted until Tuesday, June 27, 2023.
- One bursary valued at $2,000 for each District of North Vancouver public secondary schools
- Two bursaries each valued at $2,000 for students from any of the District of North Vancouver public secondary schools enrolled in the Indigenous Digital Filmmaking Diploma at Capilano University
Who can apply
You can apply for a Youth in Film Bursary if you have been accepted to a program of film-related studies at a Canadian post-secondary institution, and are:
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- a resident of North Vancouver
- in Grade 12, and eligible to graduate within the year of the application from a public secondary school located in the District of North Vancouver that's part of the North Vancouver School District (SD44)
- registered in a minimum of three courses before the bursary award payment
How to apply
You will submit your application online using our bursary application system. To apply:
- Gather electronic versions of the documents that you need to attach to your online application
- Select the 'Apply now' button to launch the online application system
- If this is your first time applying using our system, you will be asked to create an account
- Once you have created an account, you can complete the online application form and upload your documents (note that you will be able to save your application in progress at any time, and return to complete it later)
Information we ask for in your application
The application form includes questions within the following categories:
- Contact information
- Educational information
- Annual family income
Document to include with your application
When you complete your online application form, you will need to upload proof of acceptance to a film school or program at a Canadian post-secondary institution.
After you apply
When you successfully submit your application, you will receive an email confirming receipt. Staff will review your application and give priority to students who demonstrate greater financial needs.
Once the decisions have been made, we will send a congratulatory letter to the successful applicants and their secondary school principals. The Film and Events Coordinator or designate will present a certificate at each school's graduation ceremony.
Who to contact for help
If you have questions about the grant or application process, or you need help with your application, contact:
Film and Events Coordinator