Fire service accreditation
In 2018, we began a multi-year process to become an accredited fire service through the Commission on Fire Service Accreditation (CFAI).
The journey to accreditation exemplifies our commitment to establishing a culture of self-improvement and providing the community with an innovative, progressive fire department that meets and exceeds expectations.
In 2021, we will complete the requirements to progress to being a ‘candidate’ agency, which will allow us to apply for formal accreditation in spring 2022.
Gaining international accredited agency status is a rigorous process that involves many steps and actions, including:
- Building an accreditation team
- Creating three documents:
-Community Risk Assessment – Standards of Cover
- Peer review of the documents, onsite assessment, and accreditation report
- Meeting requirements of Commission of Fire Accreditation International
Why become an accredited agency?
The accreditation process sets a foundation for continuous improvement into the future.
We are committed to attaining and maintaining CFAI accreditation. The path to achieving this goal provides the opportunities to:
- Emphasize our dedication to excellence
- Establish a culture of continuous improvement
- Receive independent validation of our work
- Provide tangible data for our elected officials and stakeholders
Goals and performance
The goals and performance of the DNVFRS are articulated in the three companion documents of accreditation:
- Community Risk Assessment /Standards of Cover 2020-2025 (CRA/SOC)
- Fire & Emergency Service Self-Assessment Manual 2021-2026 (FESSAM)
- Strategic Plan 2020-2025
Learn more at our Fire Accreditation webpage.