View a list of all permits and licences

Frequently requested permits

Search for a permit or licence

Aquatic area permit

You need an aquatic permit to do any work within a stream corridor, waterfront, or in a wetland. This includes removing vegetation.

Backyard chicken (hen) permit

Anyone living in a single family residential (RS) zone can keep from two to six hens, but you need a permit. Learn more and apply.

Blasting permit

You need a blasting permit if you want to blast any rock on any private or District property. 

Building permit (commercial and multi-family home)

You need a commercial building permit for any new building, addition, change of use, or alteration other than a single family house. Get the rules for applying.

Building permit (single family home)

You will need to apply for a building permit if you want to build a new house, garage, or carport; alter an existing house or build an addition; create a secondary suite; demolish a house.

Building zone permit

You need a temporary building zone permit to place site offices or containers, or store building materials or equipment, in any traffic lane, parking lane, alley, sidewalk, or boulevard next to a new development, a renovation, or a demolition site.

Bus permit (Deep Cove and Lynn Canyon)

We prohibit large buses from accessing parts of Lynn Canyon and Deep Cove, in order to minimize traffic congestion and keep streets safe. School groups and non-profit organizations are allowed, with a permit.

Business licences

Learn the rules and requirements for business licences in the District, including B&Bs, home based businesses, and childcare centres, and apply for a licence.

Container on street permit

You need a container permit to place a construction waste disposal bin or storage container on a District street in front of a single family home or business. 

Creek Hazard Development Permit Area (DPA)

If your property is within a Creek Hazard DPA, you may need a permit to build or develop the land. View the map for this DPA, and review the requirements.


Was this page helpful?

Thanks for your input.