Stay safe this Halloween with these helpful tips from District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services and Emergency Management BC:
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick in jack-o-lanterns.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters. Dried flowers, cornstalks, crepe paper, and other decorations catch fire easily.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes. Make sure all smoke alarms are working.
- When choosing costumes, stay away from long trailing fabric.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or use glow sticks as part of their costume.
Planning on celebrating with fireworks?
A reminder that you must apply for a permit if you want to purchase, possess, or set off fireworks within the District and you are only permitted to set off fireworks between 6pm - 10pm on October 31.