Following guidance from the province's Restart BC Plan and new health and safety regulations from WorkSafeBC, we are taking all necessary steps to protect public health and maintain the safety of our employees.
Community heritage grants
To help promote heritage conservation in the District, we provide grants of up to $500 to owners of heritage properties who are interested in improving or maintaining the exteriors.
To qualify for grant funding, your property must be listed in one of these heritage resources:
- DNV Heritage Inventory (1993)
- DNV Modern Inventory (1997)
- Heritage Register
If your property is not listed in one of these resources, you can still be considered for grant funding if you provide a Statement of Significance from a registered heritage professional which identifies that the property has heritage character and value.
The application period for Community Heritage Grants closed on October 27, 2019
An overview of grant conditions
In addition to the heritage requirement:
- You must be the property owner (District staff will confirm ownership for complete applications before awarding grants)
- Your property taxes must be fully paid when you apply
- Your property must conform with all applicable bylaws
- Any conservation or restoration work you do must be done with relevant permits
- The work must be done within one year of receiving grant approval, or within one year prior to approval
- You should retain original materials whenever possible (though modern equivalents of historic materials will also be considered on a case-by-case basis)
You will also be required to submit itemized paid invoices for the work that is done.
Before you complete the application form
Before you complete the application form on this page, please be sure you have digital copies of these support documents ready to upload with the form:
- 'Before' photograph
- Historical photo, if available
- Detailed written estimate of cost
- Foundation, building, elevation and floor plans, as required
- Statement of significance (this is only required if your home is not listed in one of our heritage resources)
After you submit this form, you should see a message confirming we successfully received your information. If you do not see that message a few seconds after selecting the 'submit' button, please review the form for possible errors, which will be highlighted in red.
Preserving our heritage
Ensuring we have a clear sense of identity and place — and a legacy that links our past, present, and future — is one of the objectives of our Official Community Plan.