Why work for the District?
Recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers, we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and accessible work environment. We are united by our organizational values and inspired by our desire to provide exceptional service to our community.
Our values guide and unite us as we provide the important services our residents rely on. They define how we do our work and they represent our commitment to residents, the organization, and one another.
Why consider a career with us?
From comprehensive compensation packages, a flexible workplace, professional development opportunities, staff recognition programs, and more — there are many reasons to consider a career with us.
We're a flexible, family-friendly workplace
We recognize that staff have responsibilities outside of the workplace, and that balancing work and family life is important.
To support our staff, we offer the following programs:
- Hybrid work arrangements — Eligible staff may have the option of working remotely following the successful completion of their probationary period.
- Compressed work schedule — Eligible staff may choose to work a compressed work schedule. The compressed schedule involves working extended hours for nine days in a two-week period, and then getting one day off.
- Family responsibility leave — Staff are entitled to up to four paid days off to care for a sick spouse, child, parent or parent-in-law.
Note that some positions are not able to participate in hybrid work and compressed work programs due to the nature of their work.
We support professional development
We support our staff’s growth and development by providing:
- in-house training resources
- professional development course subsidies
- reimbursement for professional membership fees and association dues
- temporary or "acting" assignments in more senior roles
We work hard and like to have fun
Our staff embrace social activities throughout the year with fun and festive Halloween celebrations, holiday parties, BBQs, and more. We have an active social committee that is committed to creating fun events for all staff to enjoy.
We recognize our staff's hard work
Our staff play a key role in delivering important services to residents and businesses throughout our community. Recognizing a job well done is an important way we can say thanks.
We recognize our employees' hard work in a number of ways:
- Employee appreciation events — We hold events throughout the year to celebrate the ongoing commitment of our staff.
- STAR (Special Thanks and Recognition) Awards — The program helps us celebrate and acknowledge individuals and teams who have demonstrated excellence at work, and who best exemplify our organizational values in a meaningful way.
- Staff milestones — We celebrate our staff’s years of service at certain key milestones (3, 5, 10, 15 years).
- Long Service Awards — We recognize and celebrate staff who have been with the District for 20, 30, 30+ years.
We're recognized for safety excellence
We take safety seriously and are proud to have been recognized under the BCMSA Certificate of Recognition (COR) program since 2012 for being dedicated to proactively improving safety in the workplace.
We're welcoming and inclusive
We are committed to creating a more open, accessible and inclusive organization and community where equity and diversity are embraced.
If you have questions about what it’s like to work at the District, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can reach us at email@example.com or 604-990-2214.
One of BC's Top Employers (2023)
We were recognized again this year as one of BC's Top Employers for our work helping our employees balance personal and professional commitments, encouraging them to focus on their overall health, supporting their ongoing development, and more.