Apply for a commercial building permit
You need a commercial building permit for any new building, addition, change of use, or alteration other than a single family house.
Before you apply
At least one week before you want to submit your permit application, arrange a required pre-application appointment with a commercial plans reviewer in the Building Department.
At this appointment, the reviewer will:
- review the requirements
- review 'Schedule O' in the building bylaw to see what upgrades to the building are required, if any
October 25, 2018 — The province has adopted the new BC Building Code. If you submit a building permit application on or after December 10, 2018 you will need to comply with the new requirements. Learn more
Documents, forms, checklists
- Commercial building permit application process and requirements
- Commercial tenant improvement building permit handout
- Guide to commercial demolition permits
- Fire safety planning for construction and demolition sites
- Floor area report guide