Drainage permit

You need a drainage permit to install or repair:

  • storms or sanitary sewers
  • sumps or seep away sumps (rock pits)
  • catch basins
  • pump systems
  • interceptors
  • general piping systems

Who can apply

The person doing the drainage work — either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor — can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.

In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.

Are you installing a new storm water pump? You are required to have a Storm Water Pump Covenant registered on title to indemnify the District prior to completing your project. Download the required form under "documents, forms, checklists," below.

How to apply

You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, please submit your application by email.

Here's how:

  1. Complete the drainage permit application form 
  2. Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to building@dnv.org
  3. We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
  4. Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit

If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application in person at the District Hall for processing. 

Are you the registered homeowner?

When you apply, you must submit:

  • a drawing on standard site information
  • a completed application form

Are you the contractor?

You must:


Fees are based on the length of pipe.

Get complete details in the fees and charges bylaw

Documents, forms, checklists

Get your work inspected

Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.

You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).