Following guidance from the province's Restart BC Plan and new health and safety regulations from WorkSafeBC, we are taking all necessary steps to protect public health and maintain the safety of our employees.
You need a drainage permit to install or repair:
- storms or sanitary sewers
- sumps or seep away sumps (rock pits)
- catch basins
- pump systems
- general piping systems
Who can apply
The person doing the drainage work — either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor — can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.
In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.
Are you installing a new storm water pump? You are required to have a Storm Water Pump Covenant registered on title to indemnify the District prior to completing your project. Download the required form under "documents, forms, checklists," below.
How to apply
You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, you can do it by email.
- Complete the drainage permit application form
- Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
- Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit
If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application in person at the District Hall building department counter.
Are you the registered homeowner?
When you apply, you must submit:
- a drawing on standard site information
- a completed application form
Are you the contractor?
- have a valid business licence in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
Fees are based on the length of pipe.
Documents, forms, checklists
Get your work inspected
Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.
You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).