Gas permit

You need a gas permit to install or repair:

  • gas appliances
  • piping
  • venting

Who can apply

The person doing the gas work – either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor – can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.

In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.

How to apply

You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, please submit your application by email.

Here's how:

  1. Complete the gas permit application form
  2. Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to
  3. We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
  4. Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit

If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application at the District Hall for processing. 

Are you the registered homeowner?

When you apply, you must submit:

  • schematic drawings
  • a signed statutory declaration form
  • a completed application form

The schematic drawing and declaration form will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.

Are you the contractor?

You must:

The schematic drawings and application will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.


Fees for gas permits are calculated:

  • per appliance
  • per vent
  • by piping length
  • by kw (for commercial work)

Get complete details in the fees and charges bylaw

Documents, forms, checklists

Get your work inspected

Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.

You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).