You need a gas permit to install or repair:
- gas appliances
Who can apply
The person doing the gas work – either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor – can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.
In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.
How to apply
Apply for your permit before work begins. You can apply in person at the District Hall building department counter.
Are you the registered homeowner?
When you apply, you must submit:
- schematic drawings
- a signed statutory declaration form
- a completed application form
The schematic drawing and declaration form will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.
Are you the contractor?
- have a valid business licence in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
- submit drawings for review (in some cases)
The schematic drawings and application will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.
Fees for gas permits are calculated:
- per appliance
- per vent
- by piping length
- by kw (for commercial work)