Following guidance from the province's Restart BC Plan and new health and safety regulations from WorkSafeBC, we are taking all necessary steps to protect public health and maintain the safety of our employees.
You need a gas permit to install or repair:
- gas appliances
Who can apply
The person doing the gas work – either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor – can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.
In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.
How to apply
You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, you can apply for gas permits by email.
- Complete the gas permit application form
- Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to email@example.com
- We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
- Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit
If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application in person at the District Hall building department counter.
Are you the registered homeowner?
When you apply, you must submit:
- schematic drawings
- a signed statutory declaration form
- a completed application form
The schematic drawing and declaration form will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.
Are you the contractor?
- have a valid business licence in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
- submit drawings for review (in some cases)
The schematic drawings and application will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.
Fees for gas permits are calculated:
- per appliance
- per vent
- by piping length
- by kw (for commercial work)
Documents, forms, checklists
Get your work inspected
Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.
You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).