Find out more about our COVID-19 response.
Highway construction and planting permit
You need a permit or District approval if you want to:
- build a fence, planter box, retaining wall, ornamental lighting, or benches
- install any hard surface that does not absorb water (other than replacing an existing driveway)
- install anything that alters the natural grade
- put up decorative street numbers or signs
- plant a bush, shrub, ornamental plant, or ground cover that is likely to be taller than 0.9 metres
- plant a tree or hedge
- make changes to or build a new driveway, walkway, or stairs
How to apply
- Submit your request in writing to the Transportation Engineering section for review
- The details should include a description of the proposed construction and/or planting, including construction or maintenance details
- A detailed plan drawn to scale showing the proposed construction or planting
Email all of the document to email@example.com
The fee for this permit is $100.