Highway construction and planting permit

You need a permit or District approval if you want to:

  • build a fence, planter box, retaining wall, ornamental lighting, or benches
  • install any hard surface that does not absorb water (other than replacing an existing driveway)
  • install anything that alters the natural grade
  • put up decorative street numbers or signs
  • plant a bush, shrub, ornamental plant, or ground cover that is likely to be taller than 0.9 metres
  • plant a tree or hedge
  • make changes to or build a new driveway, walkway, or stairs

Get more details in our FAQ document

How to apply

  • Submit your request in writing to the Transportation Engineering section for review
  • The details should include a description of the proposed construction and/or planting, including construction or maintenance details
  • A detailed plan drawn to scale showing the proposed construction or planting

Email all of the document to eng@dnv.org


The fee for this permit is $100.