You need a plumbing permit to install or alter fixtures and systems, including:
- water service
- interior fixtures (toilet, sink, shower, dishwasher)
- roof and floor drains
- hot water tanks
- hydronic heating
You do not need a plumbing permit to:
- clear stoppages
- repair leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures
Who can apply
The person doing the work – either the registered homeowner or a licensed contractor – can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.
In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.
How to apply
You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, please submit your application by email.
- Complete the plumbing permit application form
- Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
- Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit
If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application at the District Hall for processing.
Are you the registered homeowner?
When you apply, you must submit:
- schematic drawings
- a completed application form
- heat loss calculations (if you are installing hydronic heating)
The schematic drawing, calculations, and application will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.
Are you the contractor?
When you apply, you must:
- have a valid business licence in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
- submit drawings for review (in some cases, such as commercial sites)
- submit heat loss calculations (if you are installing hydronic heating)
The schematic drawings and application will be reviewed by an inspector before your permit is issued.
Fees are calculated by fixture.
Documents, forms, checklists
Get your work inspected
Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.
You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).