You need a permit to install a sprinkler system in any commercial, industrial, institutional, or multi-family home.
You also need one for new single-family homes within a fire limits area.
Who can apply?
Sprinkler systems can only be installed by licensed contractors. The contractor must apply for the permit.
How to apply
You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, please submit your application by email.
- Complete the sprinkler permit application form
- Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
- Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit
If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application at the District Hall for processing.
To apply for a permit, you must:
- have a valid business license in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
If you are installing six or more fixtures, you must also submit:
- Signed and sealed design drawings
- Schedules B1 and B2 of the Building Code
- Confirmation of professional liability insurance
Your drawings and other plans will be approved by a mechanical inspector before your permit will be issued.
The fee is based on the number of sprinkler heads the system has.
Documents, forms, and checklists
Get your work inspected
Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.
You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).