You need a permit to install a sprinkler system in any commercial, industrial, institutional, or multi-family home.
You also need one for new single-family homes within a fire limits area.
Who can apply?
Sprinkler systems can only be installed by licensed contractors. The contractor must apply for the permit.
How to apply
You can apply for a sprinkler permit in person at the District Hall building department counter. You must:
- have a valid business license in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
- submit schematic drawings (unless you are installing fewer than 20 sprinkler heads in an existing building)
- submit a B1/B2 (unless you are installing fewer than 20 sprinkler heads in an existing building)
Your drawings and other plans will be approved by a mechanical inspector before your permit will be issued.
The fee is based on the number of sprinkler heads the system has.
Documents, forms, and checklists
Get your work inspected
Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.
You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).