Apply to develop property
When you need to apply for a development permit
You need to apply for a development permit if you want to:
- develop or build on a property within a development permit area
- change the zoning of your property
- subdivide your property
- put up a sign
When you need to apply for a building permit
In some cases, you may not need a development permit, but you will still need to get building and related permits.
This applies to:
- new construction
- demolishing a house
- altering or adding to a building (such as adding a deck or bathroom, or renovating a kitchen)
- accessory buildings, garages, swimming pools, retaining walls
- adding a secondary suite
The application process
Most applications involve a two-step process:
- Preliminary Planning Application
- Detailed Planning Application
The preliminary application reviews the technical feasibility of a development proposal, and provides a comprehensive list of requirements an applicant must submit if they proceed to a detailed planning application.
Most subdivisions, Official Community Plan amendments, rezoning applications, and major development permit applications, would need to go through a preliminary planning application first.