Building zone permit
You need a temporary building zone permit to place site offices or containers, or store building materials or equipment, in any traffic lane, parking lane, alley, sidewalk, or boulevard next to a new development, a renovation, or a demolition site.
How to apply
To apply for a building zone permit, complete the application form on this page, and upload any required documents. You must submit your application at least seven business days in advance, to allow enough time to process your permit.
Documents we require with your application
You need to include these documents with your application:
- A valid District of North Vancouver or inter-municipal business license
- Proof of comprehensive general liability insurance, including contractual liability and not-owned auto liability insurance in the amount of $5,000,000.00. The policy must name the District of North Vancouver as an additional insured insofar as the District’s legal liability arises out of the operations of the insured. The policy must be in full force and effect, and must not be cancelled, terminated, materially altered, or allowed to expire unless 30 days prior written notice has been given to the District.
Additional documents you can include
On your application, we'll ask for the proposed location for your building zone. In addition to providing a street address, you can upload a map or diagram showing the specific location.
Documents we could ask for later
Depending on the location of your building zone, we may ask you to provide a traffic management or control plan after you submit your application. We'll let you know if this is required after we review your application.
After you submit your application
- We'll review your application form and contact you if we need additional information.
- Once your application review is complete, we'll email you a link to pay the permit fee online. If you prefer not to pay online, you can pay by credit, debit, cash, or cheque by coming to District Hall in person.
- After we process your payment, we'll email you your permit. You should expect to receive it within about one week of submitting your application.
Changing or extending your permit dates
If you need to change or extend your dates after you submit your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org To avoid additional application fees, please give us five days' notice.
Permit and related fees
The cost for a building zone permit is $123 plus an occupancy fee. The occupancy fee is based on the area of the building zone, and calculated at $0.25 per sq m per day.
If needed, we can remove on-street parking to accommodate your building zone. This requires at least two no-parking signs, at an additional cost of $51 per sign. To be enforceable, signage must be in place 72 hours prior to your start time.
Complete this form to apply for your permit
Be sure you have any required documents available for upload before you begin. You won't be able to save a partially completed form and return to complete it later.