Container on street permit
You need a container permit to place a construction waste disposal bin or storage container on a District street in front of a single family home or business. This helps improve public safety, and reduces conflicts with other construction projects.
Working on a multi-family home project that requires a bin or container? You need to apply for a building zone permit instead.
How to apply
To apply for a container permit:
- Review the terms and conditions of this permit (you will be asked to confirm you have read them when you apply)
- Complete the application form on this page
- Upload any required documents
Documents we require with your application
You need to include these documents from your container rental company with your application:
- A copy of their valid District of North Vancouver or inter-municipal business license
- Proof of comprehensive general liability insurance, including contractual liability and not-owned auto liability insurance in the amount of $5,000,000.00. The policy must name the District of North Vancouver as an additional insured insofar as the District’s legal liability arises out of the operations of the insured. The policy must be in full force and effect, and must not be cancelled, terminated, materially altered, or allowed to expire unless 30 days prior written notice has been given to the District.
Additional documents you can include
On your application, we ask for the proposed location for your container or bin. In addition to providing a street address, you can upload a map or diagram showing the specific location.
Documents we could ask for later
Depending on your situation, we may ask you to provide a traffic management or control plan after you submit your application. We'll let you know if this is required after we review your application.
After you submit your application
- We'll review your application form and contact you if we need additional information.
- Once your application review is complete, we'll email you a link to pay the permit fee online. If you prefer not to pay online, you can pay by credit, debit, cash, or cheque by coming to District Hall in person.
- After we process your payment, we'll email you your permit. You should expect to receive it within about one week of submitting your application.
Permit and related fees
The cost for a container permit is $61, plus $25 for each week (or portion of a week) the permit is valid.
If needed, we can remove on-street parking to accommodate your container, or to reserve a spot for your work. This requires at least two no-parking signs, at an additional cost of $114 in total.
Complete this form to apply for your permit
Be sure you have any required documents available for upload before you begin. You won't be able to save a partially completed application form and return to complete it later.