E-scooter pilot program
We're participating in an e-scooter pilot in coordination with the Provincial Government and neighbouring municipalities on the North Shore and Metro Vancouver.
This pilot program allows e-scooters to be used on designated streets, cycling lanes, and multi-use pathways. E-scooter share programs will not be permitted at this time.
Following Council approval, the pilot started in March 2022 and will continue until April 2024.
E-scooters are now legal to use on designated streets, cycling lanes, and multi-use pathways within the District.
Where can you travel with e-scooters?
During the pilot, e-scooters can be used on:
• Local and collector streets
• Cycling lanes
• Paved multi-use pathways (e.g. Spirit Trail)
E-scooters may not be used on sidewalks, arterials without cycling lanes, or unpaved park trails.
What rules apply to e-scooters?
E-scooter riders must be at least 16 years old and wear a helmet while riding. There is no driver’s license requirement to operate an e-scooter.
E-scooter riders must:
- Slow down when riding near pedestrians on multi-use pathways
- Use a bell or horn when passing other riders or pedestrians
- Ride single-file
- Not tow or carry another person
- Adhere to local regulations about where e-scooters can be ridden
E-scooter bylaws and regulations carry fines under the Motor Vehicle Act, and are enforced by the RCMP.
What is an e-scooter?
E-scooters are electrically powered kick scooters that have a standing platform between the front and rear wheels and a steering handlebar that acts directly on the front wheel(s) of the device.
In BC, e-scooters may have two to four wheels and are subject to the following provincial requirements:
- The device must have a maximum speed of 24 km/h
- Motor power output must not exceed 500W
- Must be equipped with an adequate braking system
- Must have a bell or horn
- Lights are required between sunset and sunrise
- Device must not be equipped with a seat, pedals, or structure enclosing it
Share your feedback on the pilot project with us at email@example.com.