Find out more about our COVID-19 response.
Ross Road bridges and infrastructure
We have replaced two timber bridges in the 1300-block of Ross Road. The bridges were reaching the end of their lifespans, and had limited capacity. At the same time, crews took this opportunity to upgrade the watermain, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer system on Ross Road (between Mountain Highway and Allan Road).
Work also included repaving the road, installing new sidewalks on both sides of the street, and adding new street lighting to increase pedestrian safety, including a button-activated flashing crosswalk at Allan Road. Creek enhancements will improve stability and the overall habitat.
To minimize the amount of disruption to the neighbourhood, this work will be done simultaneously. Work will begin in summer 2019 and be completed by spring 2021.
News and updates
December 2020 — Project update
The project is near final completion and the road is now open in both directions for vehicles. Here is a summary of the remaining work planned for this winter and spring 2021:
- Activation of new streetlights and crosswalk beacon
- Final boulevard restorations and riparian planting
- Final layer of asphalt and permanent line markings
Work in progress
Work we're currently completing includes:
- Bridge superstructure reinforcement and concrete, including girders, deck, and abutment
Here's a summary of work planned for this fall:
- Final creek works and bank reconstruction on the south side of the bridges
- Planting and driveway restoration along the entire project
- Underground utility connections installed through new bridge decks
- Fortis BC gas main work
Work scheduled for later this year and towards the end of the project includes:
- Road paving and line painting
- Sidewalk and curb construction on the south side of the road
- Driveway repaving on the south side of the road
- New street lights, including a flashing pedestrian crossing at Allan Rd
August 2020 — Construction update
Here's what we've completed so far:
- Girders for both sections of the bridge
- Pile driving
- North sections of both bridges
- North sidewalk between Mountain Hwy and Allan Rd, with small sections remaining
- Creek stabilization and habitat enhancement for Coleman Creek and Hastings Creek on the north side of the road
- Approximately 95% of underground utilities installed, including a new watermain, lift station, and sanitary sewer
Area of work
Work started in early July 2019. The majority of work will be completed by early 2021.
- Bridges — Replacement of two aging timber bridges at Coleman Creek and Hastings Creek
- Sidewalk — Complete roadway reconstruction, including a new sidewalk on the north side of Ross Road
- Utilities — Reconstruction of watermain, sanitary and storm sewers, and construction of a new sanitary sewer pump station
- Pavement — Full pavement reconstruction
- Creek — Channel improvements
Bike lanes are not within the scope of this project, but may be considered in a future revision of the Bike Master Plan (BMP).
Our Asset Management Plan (AMP) for Bridges identifies the Ross Road bridges as priorities for replacement. The sidewalk replacement is identified as a high priority in our Pedestrian Master Plan and the route is well-used by children walking to and from Ross Road Elementary school.