You need a permit to install a sprinkler system in any commercial, industrial, institutional, or multi-family home.
You also need one for new single-family homes within a fire limits area.
Who can apply?
Sprinkler systems can only be installed by licensed contractors. The contractor must apply for the permit.
How to apply
You can apply for a sprinkler permit in person at the District Hall building department counter. You must:
- have a valid business license in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
- submit schematic drawings (unless you are installing fewer than 20 sprinkler heads in an existing building)
- submit a B1/B2 (unless you are installing fewer than 20 sprinkler heads in an existing building)
Your drawings and other plans will be approved by a mechanical inspector before your permit will be issued.
The fee is based on the number of sprinkler heads the system has.
Documents, forms, and checklists
- Permit application form
- B1/B2 (link)