Civic youth awards
The Civic Youth Awards Program recognizes District youth between 10 and 24 for noteworthy achievements and contributions to the community.
Each year, we give awards in four categories:
1. Youth Recognition Award
This award recognizes youth who made noteworthy achievements, or exhibited commitment to personal change and growth, including:
- making great personal strides
- overcoming personal or societal barriers
- demonstrating or possessing outstanding music, scholastic, art, or sports acumen
2. Youth Community Enhancement Award
This award recognizes youth who made positive contributions to the community on a voluntary basis, such as serving on a committee, or other volunteer work with organizations and groups. All nominees must have provided a minimum of 75 hours of school or community services work.
3. Outstanding Youth-Friendly Business/Supporter of Youth Award
This award recognizes a business or individual that performed an exceptional job in hiring or training youth, providing opportunities to youth, providing funding for youth activities, or provided support and services to youth (support could be for one youth or a number of youth).
4. Outstanding Youth Team Award
This award recognizes a group of youth who have completed a minimum of 50 hours per person of community (or school) service, resulting in enhanced programs or services for their school or community.
Who qualifies for an award
To qualify for consideration, a nominee must:
- not have received an award in the same category within the last three years
- either live or do their volunteer service in the District
- be 10- 24 (business and individual support can be over 24)
- have 75 hours for the individual youth community service award, and at least 50 hours per youth for the team awards required.
How we choose the award recipients
Nominations will be reviewed by our committee, which includes interdepartmental staff and youth. The committee selects from the list of nominees each year, and can decide to give more than one award in each category.
Thank you for your interest. Nominations for this year's awards closed on Friday, March 10, 2017.