Popular Permits & Licenses
Fireworks permit

If you want to set off fireworks on private property in the District, you must apply for a permit.

Business licence renewals

If you have a business licence, you need to renew it for 2016. You can renew online now, in person, or by mail.

Building permit

You will need to apply for a building permit if you want to build a new house, garage, or carport.

Search for a permit or licence

Overheight/overweight vehicle permit

You need a permit for any vehicle that exceeds its licensed gross vehicle weight (GVW).

Pesticide use permit

While many commonly used chemical pesticides are no longer permitted, in some cases, you may qualify for a permit to use pesticides other than those our the approved list. Learn about the rules and apply for a permit.

Plumbing permit

You need a plumbing permit to install or alter fixtures and systems, including water service, interior fixtures (toilet, sink, shower, dishwasher), roof and floor drain, hot water tanks.

Sign permit

You need a sign permit for most exterior signs that advertise a business or an event in the District. Learn more and apply.

Signs in the boulevard (temporary)

You need a street use permit to put up a temporary sign in a boulevard advertising a non-profit community event or an event sponsored by a local association. Learn the requirements and apply.

Slope hazard development permit area (DPA)

If your property is within a Slope Hazard DPA, you may need a permit to build or develop the land. View the map for this DPA, and review the requirements.

Soil permit

You need a soil permit if you want to remove or add more than 18 cubic metres (approximately 2 truck loads) of soil, gravel, sand, drain rock, or other loose material (such as broken concrete or rock) during one calendar year.

Special event permit

You need a special event permit to hold a block party, race, parade, or procession on a District street. Learn the rules and apply for your permit.

Sprinkler permit

You need a permit to install a sprinkler system in any commercial, industrial, institutional, or multi-family home. You also need one for new single-family homes within a fire limits area.

Streamside Protection Development Permit Area (DPA)

If your property is within Streamside Protection DPA, you may need a permit to build or develop the land. View the map for this DPA, and review the requirements.