Doing business with us
This page has information about:
- How to get help
- Applying for permits
- Booking a building inspection
- Submitting invoices and getting paid
Front desk reception hours are 8am - 4:30pm. Our staff are able to help you in a number of different ways:
- Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone during office hours (Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm) — 604-990-2311
- After hours emergency line — 604-990-3666
You can also request services and complete transactions here on our website:
Some services may still be accessible in person (eg. drop off a building permit application), but in those instances, a special appointment is required.
We continue to review and process development applications. You can communicate with staff as needed by phone or email. Most required documents can be submitted electronically, and options for submitting large format drawings can be discussed with staff.
In-person public meetings have all been changed in favour of virtual meetings to ensure the health and safety of residents, visitors and staff. This may impact approval times for applications that require review by Council or by advisory committees. Staff are working to reduce these impacts as much as possible.
Building permit applications
We continue to review and process building permits. If you want to submit your application with supporting materials, you must schedule an appointment to drop them off.
You should expect to receive a response from staff by email within 5 to 10 business days.
If your application is not compliant
If we find that your application is not compliant or there is something missing, we will email you to explain what is missing or non-compliant, and provide details of how to email or drop off any missing items.
Once your application is compliant
Once your application is complete and compliant, we will email you a link that you can use to pay your partial permit fee online. No further work will be done on your application until we receive the fee.
After we receive your fee, we'll distribute your building permit to the appropriate departments for review. Once we're ready to issue your permit and all applicable departments sign off, we'll contact you to schedule a time for pickup.
Trades permit applications
You can apply for trades permits online. See all trades permits
Inspections are still available. However, to protect the health of our inspectors and members of the public, please observe these rules:
- Premises to be inspected has to be unoccupied
- One representative must be on site who can provide entry to the premises, and witness the inspection
- Appropriate social distancing etiquette must be observed throughout the visit
- You must reschedule the inspection if your representative shows any signs of illness
Submitting invoices for goods or services
If you have an invoice to submit for goods or services provided, you can email it to us at email@example.com including the following information:
- The invoice in PDF format, with each file containing only one invoice
- The name of the District of North Vancouver staff member who purchased or ordered the goods or services
- The purchase order (PO) number, if applicable
We'll be sending payments through electronic fund transfer (EFT) to ensure quick and secure delivery of funds.
You need to sign up for EFT to receive payments and remittance information from us. If you already use EFT, you will receive your payment as usual.
This process only applies to invoices from the District of North Vancouver. It does not apply to our partner agencies (North Vancouver Recreation & Culture, North Vancouver District Public Library, and North Shore Emergency Management).
For questions related to billing and payments, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
[ back to top ]