Electrical permit

You need an electrical permit to install or alter electrical equipment, including:

  • service panels, outlets
  • temporary power poles
  • signs, street lighting
  • baseboard heaters, radiant heat
  • alarms, vacuum systems, generators
  • conduits, cable tie, fibre optics, bonding

Who can apply

The person doing the electrical work — either the registered homeowner or licensed contractor — can apply for the permit, with some exceptions.

Are you the registered homeowner?

If you are the registered homeowner, you are not allowed to do the work yourself if:

  • there is a secondary suite in the home
  • you do not intend to live in the home
  • part or all of your building is used for rental income
  • part or all of your building is used for commercial purposes
  • you are installing radiant ceiling heat panels

In these instances, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.

How to apply

You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, please submit your application by email.

Here's how:

  1. Complete the contractor application form or the homeowner application form
  2. Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to building@dnv.org
  3. We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
  4. Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit

If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application at the District Hall for processing. 

Are you the registered homeowner?

When you apply, you must submit:

  • a completed application form
  • schematic drawings (if you are installing an electrical heating system)

An inspector will review the schematic drawing and application form before we issue your permit.

Are you the contractor?

When you apply, you must:

If you are not sure if you require drawings, contact our electrical inspector to discuss your project.

Permit fees

Fees for electrical permits are based on the value of the job, including material and labour. If you are the homeowner doing the work yourself, you must calculate the cost of your own labour when calculating the total cost.

If your application is for a temporary construction, the fee is a flat base rate, and your permit is valid for 120 days.

A 'temp to perm' fee will be added to an electrical permit for new construction. 

Get complete details in the fees and charges bylaw 

Documents, forms, and checklists

Get your work inspected

Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.

You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).