Build a coach house
A coach house is a detached compact home, usually built in the rear yard of a single-family residential lot.
Sometimes called a laneway house or carriage home, a coach house can provide you with additional rental income, while increasing the diversity of rental housing choices in single family neighbourhoods.
A coach house can't be sold separately from the main house or placed under strata title.
We're simplifying the coach house process
Coach houses play an important role in meeting our goal of diversifying housing options, and we're considering a number of changes to simplify the coach house application process.
Proposed improvements include new or simplified permitting requirements, changes to allowable floor space, revised parking requirements, and more.
Under the proposed changes, some lots would qualify for a more simplified process, while others would continue with the existing process.
|Lot eligibility criteria||Process (one-storey coach house)||Process (two-storey coach house)|
|Proposed new process||
|Existing process||Corner lot at least 50 ft (approx 15m) wide||Development Variance Permit (requires council decision)||Development Variance Permit (requires council decision)|
|Existing process||At least 10,000 sq ft (929 sq m) with no lane access||Development Variance Permit (requires council decision)||Development Variance Permit (requires council decision)|
Review the report that outlines these changes (starts on page 151)
Next steps for our improved process
Between September 20 and October 14, 2018 we talked to residents and other stakeholders about the proposed changes to the District's Coach House Program.
We anticipate reporting back to Council in the New Year on the results of the public engagement, recommendations, and next steps for Council’s consideration.
Stay informed about these proposed changes
If you would like to be updated about progress with this project, please complete our online contact form, and we will notify you by email when there is new information.
(Did you take our online coach house survey and provide your email address then? You do not need to sign up again.)
Is your property eligible?
Is my property eligible for a coach house?
To be eligible to build a coach house, your single family lot must satisfy these general requirements:
- Your lot must be over 929 m2 (10,000 square feet) — or at least 15m (50 feet) wide on a corner lot, or with access to an open lane
- You cannot have an existing secondary suite, either attached or detached
- You must be able to provide sufficient useable onsite parking (three spaces are required; two for your principal residence and one for the coach house)
- The combined size of your principal house and coach house can't exceed the allowed maximum density for your zone
- The proposal must meet the Development Permit Area Policy of Schedule B in the OCP
Not all single family home sites are suitable for coach house development. Be sure to confirm with us that your property qualifies before you proceed.
How to get started
Interested in building a coach house? Learn more
Download our complete Coach House How-To Guide to get complete details, including:
- help determining if your site is eligible
- a step by step approach to the application process
- help figuring out costs
- detailed design and development criteria
- important contacts and resources
- frequently asked questions