Inter River Park turf field
We are building a new full-size artificial turf field (ATF) in Inter River Park that will meet tournament standards, and increase the sports field availability in the park.
This new ATF will replace the existing grass field, which is unfit for scheduled play due to an uneven surface and associated drainage problems.
Because the site for the new field was previously a landfill and therefore prone to uneven settling, we must first compress the fill and prepare the site for construction by 'preloading' it with approximately 72,500 tonnes of sand, which will remain for up to two years. Preparation for preloading will begin in August, 2018.
News and updates
August 27, 2018 — Work to begin on the new field
Work to prepare the field for preloading will begin the week of August 27, and will include removing the existing grass and topsoil, installing retaining walls to hold the sand, and installing environmental protection measures. This work should take approximately ten weeks to complete.
Traffic and access during construction
Location of construction
Managing traffic and other disruptions
Deliveries via dump trucks are expected weekdays between 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, and will follow this route:
Traffic controls will be in place to safely manage truck and other vehicle access to the park during construction.
We ask for your patience and understanding over the next several months as we accommodate additional truck traffic to and from Inter River Park. The contractor will make every effort to minimize impacts to park users and the surrounding community however we do expect to experience increased noise and dust in the area.
Ensuring public safety
For the protection and safety of all park visitors, the construction area will be fenced and gated for the duration of the preload phase (up to two years). Pedestrian access around the preload area will be maintained.
About the construction process
Because the site was the location of a previous municipal land fill (active from 1956 to 1988), and is prone to uneven settling, the area must be preloaded with sand for a period of up to two years.
This process compresses the fill and prepares the site for construction of the artificial turf field.
August to November, 2018
Starting in August, preparation of the existing field to accept the preload material will begin, including:
- removal of the existing grass and topsoil
- installation of retaining walls to hold the sand
- installation of environmental protection measures.
This work should take approximately ten weeks to complete.
November, 2018 to Spring 2019
Starting around November, approximately 72,500 tonnes of sand required for the preload will be trucked to the field from the new North Shore Wastewater Treatment Plant construction site over a period of four or five months.
During this period, there will be intensive periods of deliveries of sand by truck to the area of field #1
Bird's eye view the new turf field
The need for new a sports field in Inter River Park
The existing grass field in Inter River Park has been substantially compromised due to settling of the field and associated infrastructure (e.g. backstops and dugouts), largely as a consequence of constructing the field over a former landfill site.
The field’s uneven surface and associated drainage issues limit the playability, and as a result, the field is only booked occasionally.
A new full size tournament artificial turf field (for soccer, football and field hockey) would meet the objective of developing Inter River Park as a DNV tournament center for sports field users, as well as providing additional artificial turf inventory to take the pressure off existing grass fields throughout the District.
Deciding on a site and field configuration
In 2016, staff began studying options for a field (or fields) in Inter River Park by exploring three preliminary field options — a single natural turf field, a single artificial turf field, two artificial turf fields.
In 2017, following direction from Council, staff started the work necessary to complete a single turf field, while continuing to explore other options for a second field.
In 2018, Council directed staff not to proceed with the second turf field option.
The process we followed to decide on this site and configuration
- April 23, 2018 — Council recommendation on a potential second turf field
- February 26, 2018 — Presentation to Council
- November 14, 2017 — Presentation to Council
- June 21-July 12, 2017 — Online consultation
- June 21, 2017 — Public information session
- February 6, 2017 — Council workshop
- October 24, 2016 — Council workshop
- August 31-Sept 14, 2016 — Online consultation
- August 31, 2016 — Public information session
Documents from the decision-making process
This section contains documents that were produced from late 2016 to early 2018, as staff and Council explored potential options for a new turf field.
Reports and studies
- Inter River Park South Sports Field Feasibility Study and Conceptual Design Report (PDF; 19.3MB)
- Inter River Park South Environmental Review (appendix to the feasibility study) (PDF; 23.9MB)
Public information sessions
- Review the materials from the June 21, 2017 public information session (PDF; 20.25MB)
- Review the materials from the August 31, 2016 public information session (PDF; 12.2MB)
April 23, 2018 — Council direction on second field
Staff report to Council (PDF; 64.8MB)
February 26, 2018 — Staff update to Council
Staff report to Council
November 14, 2017 — Staff update to Council
February 6, 2017 — Council Workshop
- Staff report on our long term sports field program and funding strategy (starts on page 17)
- Staff presentation on our long term sports field program and funding strategy
October 24, 2016 — Council Workshop
- Staff report and presentation on the three preliminary options (starts on page 13)