Tree permit

You need a tree permit if you want to remove any tree that is protected. Examples of protected trees include those that are:

If the tree is on private land — and it does not meet any of these definitions for protected trees — you will still need a permit if it is 75cm (30”) in diameter or greater when measured 1.3 metres (4.3') above ground level.

See the Tree FAQ for complete details and descriptions of protected trees

Permit requirements

The application process is different, depending on where the tree is located.

Is the tree on your property?

  • If you want to prune a large diameter tree or remove a protected tree on your property, get an arborist report from an independent arborist
  • If you want to prune or remove a large diameter tree on your property, complete the tree permit application form outlining the species, size, and location of the tree

Submit the arborist report or your application form in person at District Hall, or email it to

Is the tree on District property?

Fill in our service request form, being sure to note the reason for the request.

Complete requirements

Download complete requirements for permits and arborist reports

How much does it cost?

See the fees and charges bylaw for specific tree permit fees

Get more information

How to apply

You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, please submit your application by email.

Here's how:

  1. Complete the tree permit application form
  2. Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to
  3. We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
  4. Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit

If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application at the District Hall for processing.