Following guidance from the province's Restart BC Plan and new health and safety regulations from WorkSafeBC, we are taking all necessary steps to protect public health and maintain the safety of our employees.
Plans for the new TransLink B-Line route through the District now complete
We have been working closely with TransLink to finalize the new B-Line rapid bus service route that will run along Marine Drive and Main Street across the North Shore.
In the District, the final plans call for two lanes of regular traffic in both directions to be maintained. Once the new route is operating (later in 2019), we will monitor it, and make any adjustments necessary to ensure safe and efficient operations.
Here are the final designs for the portion that runs through the District:
(Live in the Norgate area? Find out what the B-Line means for access to your neighbourhood)
Westbound: Garden Avenue to Phillip Avenue
This portion of the route runs westbound along Marine Drive. Key changes in this section include:
- an extension of the existing westbound transit lane dedicated to buses, bicycles, and vehicles turning right
- no left turn restrictions
Eastbound: Lynn Avenue to Phibbs Exchange
This portion of the route runs eastbound along Main Street. Key changes in this section include:
- minor curbwork on south side to enable a new eastbound transit lane
- two eastbound and two westbound lanes maintained for all traffic
- all existing right turn and left turn lanes maintained
- bike lane maintained
- new intersection to access Phibbs Exchange
Benefits of the new B-Line
In 2019, TransLink plans to introduce four new rapid-service B-Line routes to Metro Vancouver as part of Phase One of the Mayors’ Council 10-Year Vision.
A B-Line provides improved travel time and reliability by removing buses from regular traffic. B-Line buses will run at least every 15 minutes (every 8 minutes in peak periods) throughout the day, every day of the week. Features include:
- stops spaced approximately 800m to 1km apart
- streets designed to make buses faster
- high-capacity articulated buses
- displays at bus stops with real-time bus arrival information