You need a heating permit to install or alter forced air heating or hydronic heating systems.
Who can apply
The person doing the work – either the registered homeowner or a licensed contractor – can apply for the permit, unless the home has a secondary suite.
In homes with secondary suites, only a licensed contractor can apply for a permit.
How to apply
You must apply for your permit before the work begins. For your convenience, you can apply for heating permits by email.
- Complete the heating permit application form
- Email the completed form, and any other required documents (listed below), to email@example.com
- We will process your application, and then email you a link to pay the application fee by credit card
- Once we receive your payment, we will send you your permit
If you do not wish to apply by email, you can drop off your application in person at the District Hall building department counter.
Are you the registered homeowner?
When you apply, you must submit:
- a completed application form
- a heating appliance selection worksheet
Are you the contractor?
- have a valid business licence in the District
- have a valid trades qualification certificate
- submit a completed application form
- submit a heating appliance selection worksheet
Fees are calculated based on BTUs. Refer to the fees and charges bylaw for details.
Documents, forms, checklists
Get your work inspected
Much of the work you do with permits requires a follow-up inspection. It is your responsibility (or your contractor's) to arrange for all inspections at the right time.
You can request your building and mechanical inspections online (with the exception of electrical).