Help us name a new street in Lynn Valley
We are creating a new cul de sac in Lynn Valley Town Centre, and we'd like your help naming it.
Please take a moment to review the information on this page — including our street naming guidelines and policy — then tell us what you think by completing the form at the bottom.
Thank you for your interest. The last day to provide input on this project was November 5, 2019.
Options for the new name
Our Street Naming Subcommittee has proposed "Emery Court" for the cul de sac. You can either indicate a preference for that name, or suggest your own name for consideration.
The new cul de sac is accessed off of the Emery Place extension.
How we'll select the final name
We will take suggestions from the public until Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
Once the period for suggestions closes, staff will create a short list of names, using the policy selection criteria as a guide. The short list will then be discussed with the Place Naming Committee and presented to Council, along with the Committee's recommendation.
Council will make a final decision on the name.
Naming guidelines in the District
General place naming guidelines
Our Naming Selection Criteria and Procedures Policy (approved by Council on February 16, 2015) provides a consistent and transparent approach to naming streets, parks, community facilities, and places in the District, and helps inform the work of the Place Naming Committee and Council when making decisions regarding name selection.
Consider names that:
- have a strong connection to the local community
- reflect cues from the local context and have historical, social or cultural relevance
- may reference local geographic and environmental features such as mountains, rivers, creeks, coves, flora and fauna
- engender a positive image
- are not the same as or sound similar to existing North Shore names
- avoid duplicating existing Metro Vancouver names, where possible
- generally avoid honourific or personal names except in occasional circumstances as warranted
- avoid difficult pronunciation and spelling
- do not lend themselves to inappropriate abbreviations or acronyms
Specific street naming guidelines
In addition to the general criteria listed above,this should be considered for street naming:
- The name should be concise and easy to pronounce
- Extensions of a common name should generally be limited to one duplication (e.g. Byron Road and Byron Place) and take into account the Road Designations per Appendix A
- Where a collector street changes direction, it shall retain its same name.